How I Self Care

There's that phrase again 'self care'. You hear people say it all the time especially if you struggle with bad mental health. I hate to break it to you but those people nagging you to take care of yourself and do things that bring you joy...are right. 

I will fully hold my hands up and admit I often take better care of my house plants (which are thriving by the way) than myself. I do forget about self care and end up just letting my overwhelming emotions get to me. But, when I do remember to take some time for self care my mental health completely turns around. 

Now, I'm not saying self care is a cure for mental health issues. Mental health is a complex beast that requires lots of different treatments and help but I will say self care is a way of managing those lows in your mental health. 

Mind UK says: 'Self-care techniques and general lifestyle changes can help manage the symptoms of many mental health problems. They may also help prevent some problems from developing or getting worse'. I have attached their link below for you to read more about their tips. 

I did a blog about my self care tips back in 2018 and from reading the blog not many of my self care routines have changed. Since then, however, I have added new things to the list that I didn't do before. So here are the things I do to self care. 

Read in the Bath 

Now it's funny because when I read my blog from 2018 I explained I used to think self care was just people putting bath bombs in the bath. 5 years later I have become one of those people that takes baths for self care. 

Last year I hurt my back so I was taking a lot of baths to help ease the pain. Unfortunately, I found baths really boring so would struggle to stay in there for a long time. My boyfriend suggested reading in the bath as a way to stay in there and keep me occupied. Little did I know this would become part of my weekly routine! 

Being in hot water and getting to unwind and read with no distractions is by my favourite way to relax in the week. It's quiet, I'm not looking at a screen and the hot water makes me feel cleansed. It's a way to treat my body as well as my mind. 

It's been really great for my reading challenge as well as I'm noticing I'm finishing more books because I actually take the time to read.

Reading in the bath isn't for everyone. Some people I know prefer to listen to music or a podcast. I upgraded my bath the other day by bringing in a glass of wine as I read and it was fantastic! As I said before I find baths great for the body as well as the mind and I always look forward to my weekly relaxation bath. 

Use a Bath Bomb - Treat Yo' Self

A little like the last one, a way for me to treat myself each month is buy a few bath bombs from Lush and use them in my weekly bath. I get to watch how they change the water and see how they smell. It's a fun way of setting up my bath before getting in and unwinding. 

I think treating yourself to something nice is a form of self care. Treating myself to these bath bombs monthly makes me feel pampered and happy and that's what self care is all about! 

If bath bombs aren't your thing then maybe treat yourself to something else if you can. A new book, a top, a bottle of wine or even a sweet treat you like. It's not always easy to treat yourself (especially with the cost of everything at the moment) but it can be the smallest thing it just needs to be something that makes you feel treated and happy. 

Playing the Nintendo Switch 

My boyfriend and I bought our first big purchase together last year which was a Nintendo Switch. It is by far one of the best purchases I've ever made. 

My favourite thing to do is play Animal Crossing. It's a wholesome little game with sweet little tasks that just make me feel really happy. What's great is I usually get to a natural point where I want to finish playing and I don't feel I've wasted a whole day. 

Another new game I recently purchased was Disney Dream Light Valley and it's perfect! Not only is it Disney related and fun, I get to do little tasks (like in Animal Crossing) and tap into my nostalgia as I interact with the Disney characters. I've found I feel really happy and relaxed after I play it and am really glad I bought it (even though I later found out it's coming out for free in a new months anyway...).

It's also been great for my boyfriend and I to play together. Quite often we play Mario Kart but we have other games like Trivial Pursuit we can play with the family. 

The Switch allows me to spend time with people or have some quiet time on my own. It doesn't need too much brain power and it's a way for me to escape reality for a while.

I know not everyone may be able to afford this sort of item so I would recommend some other kind of game. It can be a board game to play with friends/family or a mobile game that allows you to switch the world off and enjoy some 'you' time. 

Lighting a Candle 

Now this sounds simple but I technically only really light a candle when my room is tidy. It means the world around me is decluttered so my brain is decluttered as well. Yankee candles are my personal favourite. 

Sitting down and lighting a candle is a really great way to rest after doing something physical like tidying my room. I get to enjoy a nice smell and unwind. Similar to the bath bombs buying the candles themselves if a treat and the great thing with Yankee candles is they last ages so you don't have to buy them very often. 

Bullet Journaling

I've been journaling for a few years now and cannot recommend it enough (I did a blog back in 2018 about how I make my Bullet Journals for anyone who is interested). 

Sitting in the evening with a Disney film or a YouTube video on while a journal is a great way for me to take care of my mind. I get to be creative as well as productive. I get to write my goals and things I enjoy but I get to do it in a fun way. 

Stationary is by far one of my biggest obsessions so when I use my pens and fun tape I get such a burst of joy. 

Seeing Friends 

I think the pandemic hit us all hard and while I am a introvert at heart I did really miss not being able to see my friends. Now I live with my boyfriend I have a lot more free time on weekends to see my friends and make time for them. Whether it's just going to their house and watching RuPaul's Drag Race, going to lunch with them or either Dragoke on a Friday night (that's Drag Karaoke by the way) it's a way for me to be with people I love. I remind myself there are people out there who care about me as much as I care about them. 



There are obviously so many different ways to can self care. These are just some of my go-to things that have helped me when things have been feeling overwhelming. Self care is personal and one persons self care routine may not work for another but hopefully, if you realise you need to add some self care into your life, my self care routines will spark some inspiration. 


Mind UK - https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/mental-health-problems-introduction/self-care/

Comments