My Body My Choice

For Pride Month I had originally planned a very different blog but with what is happening in the US right now I couldn't not talk about it. However, saying that, what is happening in the US does affect the LGBTQ+ community as well, so Pride Month is still a fitting time to have this discussion. 

*Disclaimer I will be discussing a very delicate subject and there may be aspects of my blog that are triggering so please keep this in mind before continuing to read* 

I'm not an expert on American law so when it came to Roe v. Wade I didn't know much, so I decided to research it. I watched this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btrn8Z9n_Lo

They go into it in great detail but from what I understand Roe v Wade was a lawsuit that led to the Supreme Court ruling that abortion was a constitutional right. This meant it could not be banned in states across America. What the Supreme Court has now done is overturn this law so that each state will decide how it handles abortion. This means many states where they don't believe in abortion could ban people from getting one and, to put it bluntly, this will cause a lot of deaths. 

As many people online have said, banning abortion is not simply banning abortion it's actually banning safe abortions. This could mean many people that cannot travel to another state may go to extreme measures to terminate their pregnancy. Potentially causing medical issues, long term mental health issues and, again, death. 

I personally am pro-choice. I believe everyone should have the option to choose what they do with their own body. Equally I do not have an issue with people who are pro-life and say THEY THEMSELVES would never get an abortion. What I take issue with is people forcing their pro-life beliefs onto others. I will always stand by the fact that people should be able to practice their beliefs safely and openly. I would even go so far as to fight for someones right to have a religion and practice what they believe (as long as it's not hurting others). So, how is it fair that a select few people think that their beliefs get to dictate what someone else gets to do with their own body. What is also interesting, is that many religions believe in abortion if it affects the health and well-being of the mother. Unfortunately, it is mainly heterosexual white men but scarily enough there were women on the panel for the Supreme Court as well which is mind blowing. 

A problem out there, is a lot of the arguments surrounding whether to ban abortion or not are using rape and incest as the only real example for the need for abortions. While these two are strong reasons someone may want to get an abortion there are many other reasons why someone would make that decision. I am a healthy 25 year-old woman, with a roof over her head, a job and a loving relationship but if I were to fall pregnant right now I am confident to say I would choose abortion. This is because I am not ready to have a child. I want to give my child the love and attention they deserve and I don't want to give my child up for adoption either. That's my personal decision and one I am fortunate enough to be able to make. However, there are plenty of other situations that are entirely different. There may be people with medical issues that can't carry a baby to full term because it could kill them (and the baby in the process). People who already have children and don't have the money or time to take on another baby. Trans-men who don't wish to be pregnant because it doesn't feel right for their new life as a man. Then there is simply a person who doesn't want children but despite condoms and birth-control they've fallen pregnant. Regardless of the reasons they should all have a choice. Some people do change their minds when they find out they're pregnant but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have all their options available to them. 

Making abortion legal doesn't mean everyone everywhere is going to have an abortion. What it means is people can have the choice to make an educated decision dependent on their options and beliefs. If pro-lifers truly believe life begins at conception then there are some things that should be considered: 

- Vasectomies for men: If "life begins at conception" that means at ejaculation. They are reversible after all. 

- Better health care or options for free health care for struggling people who can't afford to pay for scans or medical expenses. 

- More adoptions: It's all well and good people saying "We'll adopt your un-aborted children" okay...but what about the children that are already in the system?

- Better access to mental health resources: Pregnancies are incredibly stressful for some people especially if it's unexpected and to carry that child given the situation could be damaging to someones mental health. 

- Better gun laws: You know...to protect the children you want to bring into this world. 

There are so many things the US could do better to support expectant parents but banning abortion is not the answer. You are welcome to your beliefs but your beliefs should not dictate what someone does to their body. While I haven't been too angry in this blog I am furious. I was so sick to my stomach when I started to grasp the full enormity of what this meant for people that could get pregnant. This does affect women, trans-men and non-binary people. I want people to know I will never judge you for your decisions. You have the damn RIGHT to health care and compassion for your situation. I wish there was more I could do. As someone from the UK I genuinely don't know how to help. If anyone from the US does read this and has some links or anything that can help please share with me. I am sorry. I am angry. You are not alone. 

Comments