Favourite Films I Watched in 2021

For my film challenge in 2021 (to watch 80 films I hadn't seen before) I managed to watch 90 films. I watched a lot of really good films that I'd consider some of my all time favourites. But a also watched a lot of really bad films. Nonetheless, I wanted to share my favourite films I watched for the first time in 2021 and my thoughts on them. 

I usually like to narrow the list down to a top 5 however I really struggled wittingly down the list. So, in no particular order, here are my top 7 films I watched  for the first time in 2021.

Uncle Frank (2020)

My boyfriend and I chose to watch this because a) I love any chance to watch a LGBTQ+ film and b) we love Paul Bettany. 

Uncle Frank tells the story of a young girl returning home for a funeral with her gay literature professor uncle in the 1970s. 

It was such a moving film and both of us cried at one point during the movie. The relationships felt real and natural and the acting was superb. I'd really recommend this film. Though it has some dark scenes it also has a lot of warmth as well. You really get a sense of the desperation from some of the characters and so much of it hits home. 

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Only the incredible Taika Waititi can make a film about a boy living in Nazi Germany, whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler, but somehow make it funny. 

While that does sum up a portion of the film it also explores the story of Jojo discovering he has a Jew living secretly in his home. As a Nazi youth we see him struggle with how to handle this. 

I don't think I've ever experienced a film that's made me laugh out loud, full belly laughs, then make me sob. It's a spectacular film. It's a dark comedy that I've never seen before and it was the perfect balance between parody and horror. 

Atonement (2007)

Now, I know this film has been out a while but I've always wanted to watch it. It is one of those films that really sticks with you and I couldn't stop thinking about it 

It tells the story of Briony Tallis retelling the story of her life after falsely accusing her sister's lover in a horrific crime. We then watch each person through the rest of their lives and how the accusation affected them. 

I don't often use the word captivating to describe films but I would with this one. It was gripped from start to finish and I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't had the chance to watch it but it's devastating. I still have moments where I think about this film even now. The cast is exquisite: James McAvoy, Keira Knightley and Saoirse Ronan and it's so beautifully written. If you love a period drama that tugs at your heart strings and his beautifuly shot then I'd highly recommend this. 

Cruella (2021)

This is one of the best live action remakes Disney has done and also one of the best films to come out in 2021. 

Cruella tells the origin story of the infamous Cruella de Vil from Disney's 101 Dalmatians. It's a sort of retelling of what we know about Cruella but cleverly links a lot to the original. With the backdrop of 1970s England, we explore how a girl, just in love with fashions becomes, a notorious dog snatcher. 

I am a huge fan of 101 Dalmatians especially the original live actions from 1996 and 2000 so I had my reservations. Despite me really loving Emma Stone I wasn't sure she would be able to take on the mantel of Cruella after Glenn Close's original portrayal in the previous live actions. I was entirely wrong. It was fantastic. It was beautiful to watch, it was funny and it was dark and did the character of Cruella justice. I've already seen it twice more since I originally saw it in the cinema. There are talks of a sequel and I can't wait!

Eternals (2021) 

While I liked the look of the new Marvel film, Eternals, I hadn't heard great reviews. 

The Eternals are immortal beings from the planet Olympia and they were sent to Earth to fight deviants. Deviants are mutated monsters that hunt and kill humans. When their mission of destroying all deviants was complete their new mission was then to help humanity prosper but they were never to interfere. 

I adored this and do count it as one of my favourite Marvel films now. The diversity was refreshing and wonderful to see. I felt you really got a sense of each character, which is often hard to do with a ensemble this big. I think it's a wonderful addition to this new phase of the MCU and I really look forward to seeing these characters again. 

Little Women (2019)

This has been on my list of iconic films to watch for quite a while. While it was such a famous story I really didn't know much about it but, little did I know, I would end up loving it. 

Little Women is the story of the March sisters set in the 1800s and their lives and the decisions they make that affect them. 

It strangely gave me comfort film vibes, it's the same sort of feelings I get when watching the TV show Gilmore Girls. It really stuck with me, even a few days after I watched it, and I couldn't stop thinking about how it made me feel. There was a warmth to it that just made me feel safe the moment I started watching it. The cast, as well, is obviously phenomenal and I just keep falling more and more in love with Florence Pugh. 

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) 

This was a cinematic triumph. It was full of nostalgia,  fun and stunning visuals. 

This film takes place after the events of Spider-Man: Far From Home and Peter Parker reaches out to Doctor Strange to help him by getting people to forget he was Spider-Man. The spell goes wrong and suddenly everyone from every universe whoever knew Peter Parker was Spider-man begins to come through. 

I was blown away by this film and I think it's one that will stick with Marvel fans for many years to come. It was a film truly made for the fans in-mind and if this is a sign of where the MCU is going I'm more than happy to stick along for the ride. 


What films did you watch last year that you loved? Have you got any recommendations for films I should watch this year? Let me know in the comments! 



Photo courtesy of Lan Deng - https://unsplash.com/@landall

Comments