Spooky Season Films

IT'S SPOOKY SEASON!!!

I adore all things spooky and all things autumnal so when this time of year hits I am in my element! One thing I especially love is cheesy Halloween themed movies. 

Now, these don't exactly mean films set at Halloween (though most are) they are simply movies that give me the spooky vibes and get me in the spirit for Halloween. I'm not talking horrors I'm talking festive. The ones that make you want to carve pumpkins and give you that urge to wear a scarf and hat every day. 

So, I thought I'd share my favourite spooky season films to watch for Halloween season. 

P.S before anyone says anything, I know Hocus Pocus is missing from this list. But, I didn't watch it much as a child and while I know it's a great film now it's too obvious to put on this list. OKAY?!

Halloweentown Movies (1-3) 

I remember watching these on Disney Channel so much around Halloween time and they're so cheesy and nostalgic it's hard not to still love them. Personally, I prefer just watching the first 3 films as recase the actress for Marnie in the 4th film (with no real reason as why. Not even the original actress knows why). They're really fun and for anyone who hasn't watched them it's centered around siblings who discover they're witches/warlocks with their Grandma, Aggie Cromwell (Debbie Reynolds), living in a place called Halloweentown. Halloweentown is where werewolves are barbers and skeletons drive taxis and witches are just normal people. Visually, it looks like a ride at a Disneyland park at Halloween and I just love it. 

Twitches 

This is another one I watched even more than Halloweentown on Disney Channel at this time of year. Two sisters, both powerful witches torn apart at birth and living unknowingly in the mortal realm, finally meet on Halloween? Count me in. It's a simple story but so fun to watch. It's very early 2000's Disney Channel and it's a lot of fun. This one does take place at Halloween so that helps get me into the spirit. 

The Haunted Mansion 

The Haunted Mansion was based on the ride in the Disneyland parks. While the majority of it takes place in the modern day, I do really wish we'd seen more of the past as the scenes are so intriguing. It follows an estate agent, Eddie Murphy, taking his family to a mansion that the mysterious owner "plans to sell". However, it's not as simple as that. It's packed full of funny ghosts and mysterious orbs and, of course, a talking mystic ball! This is one that doesn't take place at Halloween but really helps get you into the spooky spirit. I just rewatched it and I forgot how much it makes me laugh. 

What We Do in The Shadows

This one isn't actually a Disney one. It's a more adult independent film set in New Zealand. It's a mockumentary about vampires from different eras living together and sharing their lives with the documentary crew. It's an absolutely hilarious film and it was wirrten by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi. Taika directed the amazing Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok. There is a show with the original writers involved that you can watch on BBC and it's just as hilarious so I recommend watching that as well after watching this film. 

Van Helsing 

Personally, this film isn't scary at all for me so I felt it should go on this list. It's a lot more serious than the others but I think it's incredible. It's obviously very cheesy as it has some light hearted funny moments but visually it's gothic and fun. Two things I love in a film. It follows Van Helsing, Hugh Jackman, going to Transylvania to help Anna, Kate Beckinsale, defeat Count Dracula. It's a really great take on an old story and I've watched it so many times over the years. 


If you watch any of these films for the first time I certainly hope you enjoy! If you have any suggestions for spooky season films for me to watch then please comment below. 

Comments