My 2020 Goals - Results

Well...2020...that was a s**t show wasn't it? I hate to be cliche but it truly was a year with some amazing highs but deeply low lows. I wasn't able to complete all my goals I had set out to do (for the full list look at my 'Goals for 2020' blog post) yet I still managed to get 6/10 accomplished which I don't think is too bad given the circumstances. So here is my results from my 2020 goals. 

1) Read 8 Books 

This wasn't too hard to accomplish as the year before because I spent a lot of time indoors! I will be writing a blog soon on the books I read and what I thought of them. 

2) Graduate University 

3 years of my life. 3 truly amazing years where I met life long friends and got to advance my skills as a writer. I'm still very sad I didn't get to celebrate leaving university as I had imagined. I miss all my friends still in Cheltenham and I hope soon I'll be able to go back and visit them once the world is back to normal. But despite it all I graduated with a 2:1 in Creative Writing and I couldn't be prouder. While my graduation ceremony is postponed, being able to hold my diploma in my hand (after it was posted) was a great accomplishment. 


(Here was my celebratory champagne to celebrate!)

3) Watch 70 Films I Haven't Seen Before

This was a great challenge because with so many lockdowns it meant I could force myself to watch new things rather than just the same films over and over. I watched a lot of Studio Ghibli films with my boyfriend (even some over Netflix Party) which was really nice. I will also write a blog on my favourites and least favourites soon. 

8) Visit a New Place 

I was very lucky lockdown had eased around my birthday and I was actually able to go somewhere other than my own house. For my birthday, my boyfriend and I visited Arundel Castle as I'd driven past it before and was very keen to go and explore it. I was surprised to find the garden was my favourite part. I loved picturing old Dukes or Ladies exploring the grounds and imagined what they would have talked about. The castle itself was beautiful it was just a shame some parts were closed off (for obvious reasons) but it was still fun. I'm hoping in 2020 we can go on more adventures like this together. 



9) Get a Job

This was a huge one. I managed to get a job after moving in with my Dad and Step Mum and was overjoyed I managed to get a job after coming out of uni. I appreciate how lucky I am especially with so many people struggling to find work or losing their jobs at the moment, so I don't take it for granted at all. 

10) Try New Makeup Looks 

While I wasn't able to go out much after March, I did still try playing with makeup more. I've even started a new series on TikTok I hope to continue where I create makeup looks inspired by book covers (also under 'wordsofwallis'). Makeup is so therapeutic to me and really helps me feel creative. It's fun using down time to practice new techniques. Here are some of my favourite looks I created:




(I even attempted drag makeup by trying to recreate Trixie Mattel's makeup and I just found it so fun and the outcome was either good or hilarious depending on who you ask)


Despite all the trials of 2020 I still managed to achieve a lot and for that I'm incredibly proud of myself. I even met many new friends at the start of the year who I now cherish so dearly and who helped get me through the joke of a year that was 2020. However, writing about my accomplishments helps me realise the whole year wasn't entirely wasted. If you find yourself feeling down about the year, look at your accomplishments. They don't even have to be big they can be as small as taking up a new hobby. Here's to the New Year and hoping everyone stays safe out there!

Comments