Cheltenham Black Lives Matter Protest 2020

I have never been to a protest before. When it comes to England most protests are in London or I simply don't hear about the protest until it's been aired on the news or put online. Last week my friend, Molly, invited me to an online event that would be a Black Lives Matter protest where I live.
I have been very vocal online about Black Lives Matter. Signing petitions and sharing them and speaking out about the injustice . At first I was apprehensive about using my voice. I am a white woman who has seen privilege and never undergone the types of struggle or prejudice that so many people of colour have had to endure. I initially felt perhaps it wasn't my place to say. These weren't my struggles I shouldn't get involved. But then many people online reminded me that my silence was just letting all this happen. I had a responsibility to be an ally. To acknowledge my privilege and remind people that there is still so much injustice in the world that needs to change.


I was only unsure about attending the protest because of the current pandemic but after watching the protests around the world and especially the one in Bristol where the statue of slave trader Edward Colston was pulled down I knew I had to go. I didn't want to be on the wrong side of history. I don't want to have to tell my children that during one of the biggest movements in history I did nothing. So with my friends Lewis, Molly, Maisie and Rich we attended. I took a mask and we all prepared to distance from others as much as possible.

(This is my friend Molly who made this sign)

I was so overwhelmed watching people walk to Pittville Park in Cheltenham for the protest. There were people from all walks of life: people of colour, white people, people of other races, young people, old people and families. We found a spot and held up Lewis and Molly's signs (I didn't have anything I could make a sign with but we all took it in turns to hold up the signs). Then people got up on the stand and told their stories. Black people of all ages and from different backgrounds and I was so moved by a 7 year old girl who spoke so clearly and strong on the mic. I was moved to tears. We listened to a young man sing 'Read All About It' and struggled to sing the words as it was so emotional. Towards the end we all got to one knee and were silent for 8 minutes and 46 seconds to remember George Floyd to innocent black man killed by a police officer.

(Lewis and I during the silence taken by Maisie. I didn't see her take this photo so to see it afterwards was very moving)

People kept their distance and kept in their groups. They wore masks to protect themselves. There were signs of all kinds. People were respectful and peaceful and were all there for one cause. I was so moved by the speeches and performances I actually felt honoured to be there. I felt proud to see a community really come together. I felt honoured to hear the speeches of those who had experienced prejudice and thankful for them for being so brave and telling their stories.


I know many people out there feel it's not their place to speak up because they're in a much more fortunate place than those in minority groups however movements can't happen if we stay silent. Change can't be made by sitting back and doing nothing. One black woman who stood up and spoke from Boston explained she knows as British people we don't like confrontation however she said 'Right now the confrontation you're running from could save someone's life' and she's right. Tell people when they're out of line, stick up for people who are facing prejudice and hold people accountable for wrong doings. It's one thing to not be a racist but it's another thing to be anti-racist.


Thank you to the organisers and everyone who attended. It opened my eyes even wider and I will continue to not be silent. Black lives matter.

Comments