Books I Still Think About

Not all books will leave an impact on your life. Some will be like a fleeting relationship: fun but ultimately uneventful and not particularly memorable. But there are stories that will stay with you and sometimes you'll find yourself thinking back to them. With us still being in lock down and having a lot of downtime I thought I'd share some of these books with you. These books are ones that I still think about and wish I could experience them for the first time all over again.

The Magician's Nephew by C.S.Lewis

When asked what my favourite book is this is my answer. It's one of the few books I've read more than once. It's the prequel story for the Chronicles of Narnia series and it's magical. It tells you all about how Narnia was created and how the White Witch came to be in Narnia.
When I knew I wanted to read the books, because I was so in love with the films, I thought I'd read this one first (so I read all the series in chronological order) and just wanted to pass it quickly so I could get to the main one: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was so wrong. I absorbed this story. I really felt I was in Victorian England and then flown away to watch Narnia come to life. It's a truly magnificent story and I will return to this story in the future. This is one of the books that made me want to be a writer. To create whole new worlds and know how they started. It's a beautiful novel.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas 

By putting this book down I'm also referring to the series as a whole. I saw the second book on display in a book shop and was intrigued to find the first one had a sort of Beauty and the Beast vibe to it. So, being a massive fan of Beauty and the Beast, I bought the first book. I was whisked into the detailed and exquisite world of Prythian and the Fae Lords that ruled it. I hadn't felt a love for a series like this since I'd read L.J.Smith's Night World series when I was a teenager. It's a brilliant story and I felt truly attached to the characters. There's not a moment where the story feels predictable and I found myself rushing through pages to find out what happens. Books like that stick with me and so did this series.

On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher 

I've followed Carrie online for many years now and have always enjoyed her content. I was very excited when she said she was writing her first fiction novel. I've always described Carrie's writing to be like honey or a hot chocolate. There's something easy and comforting about her work. Her characters have such unique names and there's always a hint of magic in her stories which I enjoy. This book was my favourite because of the love story but also it was like nothing I'd read before. It took a story about death and made it beautiful and light not morbid or depressing. It was a way of looking to the other side (see what I did there) in a whole new way.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell 

This was a book that was bought for me along with a few other Rainbow Rowell books. I had specifically wanted to read Fangirl and Eleanor and Park (as those were the ones everyone had raved about) so when I picked up Attachments I thought I'd enjoy it but not love it. I was wrong, once again. Telling a story about a man reading other peoples emails sounds creepy and a little weird but Rowell manages to make you fall in love with these characters. This story was so strong and moving it's always stuck with me. It's a book I'd love to revisit with an adult viewpoint.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This book touched my heart. It was so powerful and magical. The circus that opened at night and disappeared without a trace truly came to life. I was warmed by the flames in the middle of the tents and dazzled by the entertainers and the tent displays that had been created by magic. While there was a natural ending to the story there's this greedy part of me that wants a sequel so I can read more about the circus. Those are the books I love reading. Books that, even after their endings, make you want more. 



Have you read any of these? Do you agree with some of my choices? Let me know and let me know books that you still think about!

Comments