RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12 Rundown

Season 12 of RuPaul's Drag Race has been, in my opinion, one of the most popular to date. With it's strong cast and controversies it's been a hell of a season. I will say that the controversy, given one of the drag queens disqualifications, was handled as well as they could. Especially done so to not diminish all the hard work done by the other queens. Now on to a more positive note, with the finale airing tomorrow, I wanted to talk about some of my favourite moments from the show this season and discuss my favourite eliminated queens and the final top 3.

Favourite Moments 

The opening episodes themselves were incredible and were a great way for us to get to know the queens individually a lot better. I will say that I did prefer the first episode just because I loved the rap song (I'm That Bitch) more and Nicki Minaj was a brilliant guest judge.
Another episode that stood out to me was the Gay's Anatomy episode. Not only am I obsessed with the show Grey's Anatomy but I always think acting challenges are a good way to push the queens. While aspects of the episode did make me cringe as some of the acting was...questionable, Jan pushing over Jackie Cox was hilarious.
Snatch Game of course is always an exciting episode but truthfully while this cast is very talented I did feel this was one of the weakest Snatch Games I've watched. However, Gigi Goode being a robot was hilarious! I was so nervous for her at the start of the episode but by the end I loved it.
And of course the Rusical episode. Everyone was so talented and strong in this episode I felt each deserved a win and it was really hard to pick people who I thought should be in the bottom. But it was clear non deserved to win more than Jan. But just as we thought our Jan was about to get her win it was snatched away by Gigi Goode. While Gigi did deserve this win as she was incredible I did feel so sorry for Jan who was set up to win this episode only to lose. Yet we can't deny that overall this episode was amazing and I know I've said it before but this is one of the strongest and most talented group of queens I've watched.
But by far my favourite part of the series was Leslie Jones as a guest judge. She was just so excited to be there and was so switched on and upbeat. She reacted exactly how I would if I had been a guest judge. I really hope they bring her back in seasons to come. 

My Favourite Eliminated Queens

Jan

I have loved Jan since her first episode. I thought her makeup was flawless and I do love a queen that is funny and can really sing too. And this queen can SING! There is always so much effort put in to Jan's looks and she looks so polished in every runway. Her positive and upbeat attitude would drive me crazy in the morning but to watch that peppy vibe during this time has been a wanted distraction. 

Jackie Cox

What I loved about Jackie is that she knew her style and vibe coming into the competition and she continued to be true to her aesthetic throughout. Not only was she a unique queen but she also was so passionate about her culture and to see her wear a hijab with pride on stage was breath taking. 

Rock M Sakura 

I was so gutted she left the competition so early. I felt there was so much more we could see from her as a queen. Yes her Ball Ball look was a little bit bonkers but I don't think she deserved to leave that day (no tea, no shade to the queen I do think should have left...). Her look is so fun to look at and she is so witty and funny I just wish we'd gotten to see more of that. Absolutely follow her on TikTok she's a blast.

Heidi N Closet 

An absolute gem! She's hilarious and I would love to just sit and hang out with her just to see some of the things she comes out with. She took on the judges feedback and her makeup got better and better and she's just so charismatic. Heidi is my top vote for Miss Congeniality. 

The Top 3 Queens 

And then there were 3. I think this is one of the toughest and strongest top 3 we've had in a long time and in all honesty I would be happy whoever won. Here are some of my thoughts on the top 3 queens.

Jaida Essence Hall 

In all honesty Jaida was in the background for me for a long time. While she was beautiful and her looks were always flawless (The Ball Ball looks was sensational) I felt I forgot about her a lot. But then after a few weeks she started to show how funny she was and Jaida was phenomenal in the Madonna musical. She was sensual and fun and she's earned her spot in the top 3.

Crystal Methyd 

Crystal had me when she stepped out on her first episode in her Freddy Krueger inspired look. It was so out there and stylish but interesting. I knew she was a queen to be remembered. What I love most about Crystal is that we've really seen her grow as a person during the competition. She's become more and more confident as the season has gone on and it's been magical to see. Her unique style and overall weirdness just makes her so lovable and she'd be a brilliant representative for the drag community if she won.

Gigi Goode

I won't deny the MOMENT Gigi walked into the work room I fell in love with her. Her fashion, her humour, her makeup and her confidence shone. I think Gigi is such a strong competitor. She even won the musical challenge over a trained singer! Hearing her loving relationship with her mum makes me hope that other parents who watch it will follow in her mum's footsteps and support their child's dreams in the same way.



So that's my favourite moments and queens from this season. I love all the top 3 and have wanted Gigi to win since the beginning but I keep leaning more towards Crystal and then I remember how talented Jaida is EUGH! It's just too hard to pick!

What are some of your favourite moments from this season? Who do you think will be season 12's Drag Race Super Star?


Comments