Bridget Bishop - Poem

So, I felt it was about time that I start posting some of my creative work on here. For those who don't know I actually study creative writing at University and now I'm in my third year (screams in a corner) I felt it was time to start sharing some of my work to the world and the first piece I wanted to share was a poem.

I want to make it very clear...I am not a poet. Any poems I post on here were from my first year of University and it was something I didn't continue in my following years. I feel, however, I should begin to post more of my personal work and I worked very hard on these poems and they were just sat on my laptop not doing anything. So I thought 'What's the harm in sharing them?'.

This first poem I wanted to post is called 'Bridget Bishop' about the first lady hanged in Salem for potentially being a witch and with Halloween tomorrow it felt like the perfect one to start with.

Bridget Bishop 

She hung above moulding pears
swaying in the June breeze.
Her head hung to one side
but I wasn't scared.

Mama told me that she lay
all night with the Devil.
I had pictured this girl
with sharp teeth, red skin

yet her skin was plain and white,
no warts or thick black hair.
Her scarlet bodice torn,
stained with dirt and sick.

She drank blood, pastor told me.
Was void of emotion,
Danced naked in the woods.
Full of lust.   Sinful.

She looked quite simple to me.
Hanging in the pear tree.

by Lauren Wallis

Comments