5 Least Favourites from my 60 Film Challenge

If you're familiar with my blog then you will know I set goals for myself every year and this year I wanted to watch 60 films I hadn't watched before. So, I made a list of all the first 60 films and there were some very good ones...but also some very bad ones.
I wanted to start by giving my opinion on the ones I felt were not very good. I want to make it clear however that while I didn't enjoy these films I still respect the amount of work and time and effort that goes into these movies. Not just from the actors but the writers and crew and producers. Therefore, this is not an attack on them...but these films were pretty bad...In my opinion...

*Disclaimer there will be spoilers for these movies*

Velvet Buzzsaw 

When I first saw the trailer for this I was very excited. A horror about haunted artwork with a mystery behind it. What was there not to be pulled in by? It gave me a sort of modern day 'Picture of Dorian Grey' vibe. It looked vibrant and unique and with it premiering at Sundance and then being streamed on Netflix I had quite high hopes. I, unfortunately, was very disappointed.
The idea of the film was there but there was too much mystery and confusion as to why these things were happening that it took my enjoyment away. I am all for a mystery and sometimes it's nice when a story line isn't tied up with a neat bow at the end but I spent so much of my time chasing ideas and theories and getting no where just lost interest. I also found I wasn't invested in any of the characters (who all die) which made me also care less and less about the film.
The concept and the mystery were intriguing but too much was left unresolved and too many things didn't add up. I'm sure if you're a true movie nerd and love looking into metaphors and all sorts then you'd like it but I was let down.

Secret Obsession

I watched this mainly because I knew Brenda Song was in it and I thought it would be nice to see her in a different role from the normal Disney Channel roles I had seen her in before. However, the publicity for this film ruined the entire thing. You can guess the whole plot from the trailer and as I was watching the film I just knew what was going to happen. There was no suspense because you already got the plot twist from the trailer.
The storyline itself of a man obsessed with a girl who got in an accident and pretends to be her husband when she loses her memory has been used time and time again and I just felt the whole film was one big cliche. Another thing that truly bothered me was the fact the main detective in the story had a "dark past" which is a greatly over used trope in any crime drama. Not only was this dark past added to the detective it's hardly touched upon and felt it was only added in there to add more time to the film.
While I loved seeing Brenda Song do something different I simply didn't love this film.

Annabelle Comes Home 

I love 'The Conjuring' films and the franchise but by far the worst in the series has to be the 'Annabelle' films for me. What upsets me so much is that these films are based off real events and Annabelle herself is a real doll that can still be found in the Warren Museum in America.
Over all the film wasn't entirely awful per say but it's predictable jump scares really left me feeling bored and I'm still questioning the purpose of the wolf that was poorly done (which I felt was a cheap attempt at adding another layer of horror).
I think more than anything because it is loosely based on true events and I knew the Warren's daughter didn't die, it meant the main climax of the story was a little lackluster. Mostly because we know the Warren's will usually always defeat the monster even if they don't directly do it themselves.

Look Away 

I still...Have no idea...what the heck...this film...was about. All I know is that I thought the idea was cool with the evil mirror version and then the nice girl version but truly it just lost me.
I stand by the fact that masturbation is common and shouldn't be seen as taboo but when it comes up in movies for absolutely no reason it just really throws you off. Why do I need to watch that? It has no purpose to the story. All I know is that I spent the majority of the film obsessing over the fact that the main girl was very annoying and grouchy and that Jason Isaac's character (who my friend and I kept calling 'Daddy Malfoy' the whole time) was eating food for the majority of his scenes. Other than that the film was confusing and the ending left me with more annoyed questions than anything else.

The Curse of La Llorona 

Just a gentle reminder out there not to go on a first date to a really bad horror film because it will leave you and your boyfriend very stressed afterwards.
I wanted to like this film. I love the stories of the Woman in White and I was hoping this would be a Conjuring Universe spin off that would be very good. Honestly the reason I hated it was dumb characters doing dumb things and they put in too many jump scares. Because my bodies natural reaction is to tense up to prepare myself for a jump I spent the whole time being tense, as did my boyfriend. Dumbest choice really. It was okay but the fact it was trying so hard to be jumpy, let it down.
Worst part though, by far, was the ending. The bitch (La Llorona I mean) was killed by a wooden cross stabbed into her chest. I'm sorry but that seemed all too easy?! If this woman has been hauting and killing people for years why had no one managed to think 'Why don't be just stab her?'.
The saving grace in it was the fact the main actress was Linda Cardellini who I love.


Have any of you seen these films? What did you personally think?


Comments