2018 Book Challenge

I am a slow reader. Stupidly slow. It just takes me ages to read a book and I just don't know why. Although that is the case, I love books and adore reading so I try and push myself each year to read more. I failed in 2017 to read 7 books to tried it again in 2018 and just managed to complete it by finishing my last book in the early hours of New Years Eve. So here is my review of the books I read.


All That She Can See - Carrie Hope Fletcher

I absolutely loved Carrie's last fiction book 'On the Other Side' so I was very excited to start a new one. Carrie has a way of making her descriptions so warm. It's like you're being hugged into the story. Not only this but the concept of the story was brilliant.
The idea is that there are some people who can see feelings as creatures and so the main character, Cherry, can see bad feelings like: Sadness and Loneliness. All embodied as creatures. It was such a unique idea and I really liked the characters. My only thing is I wanted more. I felt the ending could lead on to another story and whether Carrie chooses to do that or not I don't know but I'd love to read more about Cherry and Chase and about the big organisation that are the antagonists of the story.
I'd also like to note that all her books and beautifully designed. The covers are so beautiful and I really enjoy looking at all the details on them.


Secrets for the Mad - Dodie

As I said I started the book challenges because I read so. Damn. Slow. However, I finished this book at 2am after storming my way through it in about 3 days. It was healing reading what Dodie has gone through with her mental health issues and it really helped me not feel alone in mine. The book is beautiful and she talks about the stories behind some of her songs that she has published on YouTube and made into EPs.
I adore Dodie and the way she comes across on camera she managed to embody in her writing. Which just made the whole thing feel more authentic. Through stories of her life lessons and descriptions of her songs I was captivated by her book and would happily read it again in the future.


Some Kind of Wonderful - Giovanna Fletcher

The main reason for me picking this book up in the first place was because I saw it was signed. I know who Giovanna is. I follow her on Instagram and watch some of her videos on YouTube but I had never actually read one of her books before. I'm so glad I read this one!
Although I read this before I personally went through a break-up what I learnt from the story has followed me through till now. It was refreshing reading an honest story about a woman going through a break-up and challenging herself to try new things. It was funny and sad and just heart warming. It showed there is life after break-ups and there is always time to try things you didn't get to before.
Needless to say I will be reading more of Mrs Fletcher in the future.


Three Dark Crowns - Kendare Blake

I picked this up in Asda a while ago and was intrigued by the fact there were 3 different covers and I went with the red one. I liked the story but I did find it slow building. I know this was most likely so you got to know all three of the Queens better. But, saying that, I sometimes struggled to see differences in the voices of the Queens. They were all different but the way they spoke was so similar I sometimes got lost. 
One thing is for certain the plot twist at the end truly shocked me! I don't know whether I'd go on to read the next one but for certain the concept is totally unique and I love the sense of girl power in it.


The Amazing Book is Not on Fire - Dan and Phil

I picked this up when I had the flu and was all gross and ill in bed and wanted something fun and easy to read to get me through the day. I quickly read through this and thought it was brilliant. I've been a fan of Dan and Phil for years and although the book was defiantly not aimed at my age group I still enjoyed reading their stories of how they got to where they are now.


A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J Maas

Aside from The Chronicles of Narnia this is my favourite book series of all time. This was the 3rd installment in the series of A Court of Thorns and Roses (also the name of the first book in the series) and it was so intense and made me hate and fall in love with so many of the characters more and more.
My favourite in the series is the 2nd book (A Court of Mist and Fury) but I still really enjoyed this. I am in love with everyone and Rhysand has given me such high expectations in men it's actually not fair.
Either way read this series!


A Court of Frost and Starlight - Sarah J Maas

This was a little book to follow on from the last. It was basically set at Winter Solstice which was perfect for me to read at Christmas time. It was a really sweet little tale to let us know what was happening with the characters after the war.
There was a sneak peak of the next book in the back but I decided against reading it to be surprised when I read the next book which (if I've read correctly) is going to be a brand new spin-off series.



Comments