Bullet Journal Tips

Oh hey look it's me, the woman who hasn't blogged in a good couple of months. Basically a lot has been happening in my life and one of those things has been starting back at University for my second year. I have now moved into a new home with people I hadn't met before but now I've gotten to know them I love them. But I'm back and ready to blog and *fingers crossed* I go back to being regular again.

Now, roughly five months ago I embarked on a journey. A journey filled with colouring pencils, doodling and Pinterest boards filled with different types of fonts. It was the journey of bullet journalling.
When I searched up a definition for what a bullet journal is it briefly explains it is a personalised organised book where you can write lists or sketch or keep a diart. The idea is that it's creative outlet and is entirely designed by you.


I had heard of bullet journalling before but never thought to do it. I was used to writing lists (a scruffy one and then a neat one...Yep I'm THAT person) but as I wanted to become more organised and I wanted to give myself another creative outlet. So I opened my Pinterest and searched 'Bullet Journal Ideas' (equally you can do this on Google as well or Yahoo if you're old school). There were so many different styles and ideas to choose from I had a wide array of ideas to get me started. My current bullet journal if actually my second and is a mix of all different types and ideas. So here are my tips for anyone who is thinking of creating a bullet journal.

It's a mess!

Don't panic. There are some pages in my journal which are soooo aesthetically pleasing but then there are the ones that look scruffy and just a bit naff but it's okay! My first bullet journal I used as a trial run. This meant I was able to practice creating different fonts and page ideas I liked the idea of. However, it also meant accepting that it won't always look perfect because I was just starting out.
As I've said before I'm all about the aesthetic but I like the fact my first bullet journal, and even my one now, isn't all the same. Some pages are in pastels and others are in bright colours, some have pictures and doodles while others are plain and simple. The whole process is about finding the bullet journal styles that are right for you and if you don't want to start one straight away without some idea of how it will look just practice like I did! Get some paper and practice a font or test colours. I always do a light outline in pencil first in the diary anyway when it comes to drawings and fonts so it doesn't look too messy before I make the next big move and use pen.
Let me put it this way. I had one page where I was writing out for my Birthday plans for this year. I wrote in big letters with pen and pencil '21st Birthday Ideas' only to remember later I was turning 22 this year *Taylor Swift plays in the background*...So what I did was just wrote a little note underneath saying 'You're 22 this year you idiot' so yeah I f-ed up but I can look back at that page and laugh.

What do I write?

Well anything! The whole point of a bullet journal is that it is FOR YOU and there are plenty of ideas and lists online of what you could do on your pages. Here are just a few things I have used the journal for:

- Uni deadlines and module information
- Goal pages
- Lists of things I have to do in a day/week/month
- A monthly diary
- Lists of films I've watched or want to watch
- Pages of happy quotes to inspire me
- Feeling tracker pages
- Bucket list
- Birthdays
- Things that make me happy
- Compliments page - for myself (we all need to compliment ourselves more)


This is just SOME of the things in my journal that you can use as examples. Again there are loads of lists online of what you can write. I know some people use their bullet journals for just one thing like they'll use it for holiday/travel plans or even work. Again: IT'S UP TO YOU.

Copy Cat

I will totally hold my hands up and admit many of my pages I've mostly copied from pages I've seen on Pinterest and Google. Guess what...THAT'S OKAY! I think it's good to copy bullet journal ideas at first because eventually when you become a pro you can create your own ideas. Another great thing is looking at other pages can inspire your own. You can take an idea and change it to cater you THAT is the beauty of it.


Those are my biggest tips for starting your own bullet journal and please tag me in any of your own creations using @wordsofwallis on Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram.
Below is also the link to my Pinterest page where you can look at some of the bullet journal ideas and fonts I've saved and I hope they help inspire you!

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/laurendwallis/bullet-journals/

Comments