Top 10 Favourites from my '40 Films Challenge'

At the start of every year I create a list of goals/challenges to complete. This is something I've mentioned on this blog before and last year I set a mission to watch 30 films I hadn't seen before. I wanted to up that this year so I set out to watch 40 I hadn't seen.

I managed to complete this goal in the early hours of 2nd of June. There were quite a few I loved this year, some I thought were alright...and some I really...really hated...I'm looking at you 'Open House'.
So here are my top ten favourite films I watched for the first time this year, what I thought about them and also in no particular order. Also no spoilers were used in the making of this blog.

1) 'Black Panther' 

I thought this was one of the best Marvel films to date. Not only was the acting incredible and it brought in new characters that I fell in love but it was also visually stunning. I really enjoyed the introduction of the Wakandan culture and seeing the old culture fit alongside the enhanced technology. The whole film was interesting to watch because of that.
The balance of emotion was wonderfully done especially as there were lots of perfectly timed funny moments as well (Shuri for Queen...just saying). I really liked the film. It wonderfully fit into the Marvel family but also worked so well on it's own. I sometimes forgot I was watching a Marvel film and just thought I was watching an incredible stand alone super hero movie.

2) 'The Martian' 

In truth I wasn't buzzing to watch this film. I get set in my ways sometimes about films and I'll say I don't want to watch something because I don't like the look of it so I don't. However, I was at my boyfriend's house and his parents suggested watching it so I gave it a go and I was blown away.
It was such an intense and brilliant film. It really showed the wonder of science and also how far people will go to help their friends.
It was visually well done and so cleverly thought out I found myself hooked from the start and the fact it was film I didn't think I'd like made it better.

3) 'Bright'

People had mentioned this Netflix film to me because they thought I'd like it and, well, I did. Sometimes when people mix fantasy into the modern world it can be a bit cheesy and off putting but the film added this grungy vibe that meant I didn't feel that way. 
I did feel that this film was just a stepping stone for the next one but I liked the original concepts and found that there were many themes that mirrored our everyday lives i.e. the racism. 
I'm excited to see what they do with the next one and how they build on the characters and the story even more. 

4) 'The Duchess'

I adored this film. I love a good historical drama anyway (if it's done well and accurately) and I was hooked with this one from the beginning. All the acting was sublime, the costumes were exquisite which really helped suck me in. The story fascinated me so much I went and did my research into the real Georgina Cavendish, who the film was based on.
There have been some historical films and TV shows in the past I've really not enjoyed because I felt they were focusing too much on the drama and then fell short when it came to historical authenticity. This film left me in awe. I want there to be more films like this, especially on women from the past that were so influential and had such layered stories to them.

Darn it now I want to watch this again...But I have this blog to write so...

5) 'Irreplaceable You'

It was 3am and I felt like I needed a good cry. Sometimes we just have those days so I thought I'd find a sad film and I'd heard about the film 'Irreplaceable You' on Netflix. Needless to say I blubbered like a big old baby two minutes in and these tears continued throughout. Don't assume that's all I did though. I also laughed.
The film gave such a unique view on death and how people handle it. It was so different from anything I'd watched on the matter before and I guess it just felt more...real.
And it was beautiful. It made me look at love differently and the lengths you'll go for the person you care about. I don't mean saving them from a dragon or something else fictional like finding an immortal jewel but I mean real life love. Wanting them to be happy even if you're not around.
I'd urge anyone to watch this film. Yes, yes, it will make you cry. Cry and cry...then cry some more. But it will make you giggle, smile and maybe embrace life a little more.

6) 'Their Finest'

This film mostly caught my eye for the cast: Gemma Arterton, Sam Claflin and Bill Nighy. Not only that but it was set during World War II. So a great cast AND historial?! Well count me in!
It was a really wonderful film and also opened my eyes to the process of making movies and how I'd maybe view my writing in different ways. It was powerful and romantic and just a joy to watch.

Also a word of warning...a few tears here and there but not tooooo bad...

7) 'Avengers: Infinity War'

OH MY HOLY MOTHER OF COW HOLY MOLY MACCARONI.

This film was intense. Super intense.

I won't deny I had reservations about the film. There were so many characters being incorporated, especially with such big personalities I didn't think it would be able to work even after the solo movies but somehow it did. I didn't feel it was overcrowded I felt they worked well together and I was just on the edge of my seat nearly the whole time. It was worth the wait and now we have to do SOME MORE GOD DARN WAITING.

And if you haven't seen it yet talk to me when you do because the ending...THE ENDING!!!

8) 'Victor Frankenstein'

Now I'm not in love with the book 'Frankenstein' but I do wish there were more accurate adaptations of the story. Having said that although this was a completely different take on it I really liked it. I admired the sort of jumpy and brilliantly mad Frankenstein and I loved Daniel Radcliffe playing Igor. It's easy sometimes to just see Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter but I completely lost that in this film and felt he gave a really good performance.
The film is dark and strange and funny in parts and I felt it was an interesting adaptation of an old story.

9) Jumanji (2017)

I will admit I have never properly watched the first Jumanji all the way through. The good thing about that is that I went in with no expectations or attachment to the original (except for my undying adoration of Robin Williams).
This film was so so funny. I actually cackled at this film. The effects didn't look cheap and cheesy and every character made me laugh in someway.

10) Hacksaw Ridge

I'd wanted to watch this for ages and it didn't disappoint. It was a phenomenal film about an incredible man who stuck to his beliefs and saved so many lives. It was filmed so well I became immersed in the events of Hacksaw Ridge.
At the end of the film there are a few short clips with the actual people and the man the film was based on and I cried. It was so powerful seeing the real face of this amazing man and added an even greater sense of reality to the film.



Next year I will up my challenge to 50 and I'm proud of myself for watching more films I haven't watched. It can be so easy to just stick to the same old films you've watched before so I'm glad I pushed myself to watch more!

Comments