Writer's Block

As a writer there is nothing worse than dealing with writer's block. Our creativity is something that helps towards our end goal so when that suddenly disappears it can be very difficult to deal with. I imagine writer's block as being a shoe maker or a blacksmith and you suddenly don't have the tools available. It's frustrating because you're ready to work but the main tools have buggered off on holiday.

I study creative writing at University so when my creative spark has gone it's not only annoying it can be stressful. Looking at a blank page with nothing coming can be a little soul crushing. I have even found blogging somewhat of a challenge because my spark and creative juices have drizzled out and I don't want to write something for the sake of it. I want to write something because I enjoy to do it and want other people to enjoy it too. Having said that: writer's block is very natural. There can be many number of reasons why writer's block is affecting someone. My main one is that I have become too critical of my own work.

After studying writing for nearly a year now I have started to realise I have become so critical of my own work it stops me from putting pen to paper (or fingers to keypad). Sometimes I simply don't think the idea is good enough or I over analyse the work to the point I can't think of what to write. However, after speaking to a few people on my course a few people seem to be doing the same. So this is my plan.

Over the next week I will be researching new ways I can get over writer's block and even revert back to some old techniques that used to work for me. I'll try them out and then tell you lovely people my results and which worked best. What I advise for now, if you are suffering writer's block, is to sit down with a piece of paper and write down why you're struggling to write. Is it you don't feel creative? Is it that things have changed in your life and environment that are blocking creativity? It always helps to put your finger on the issue first so you can eventually try to deal with it.

Here are some of the things I wrote down when I did this:

- I don't think my stories are good enough.
- I've lost my creative flow and feel I'm writing the same old thing or coming up with the same sort of stories.
- I feel tired a lot and don't have enough energy to write.
- I'm forcing myself to write and that makes me not want to write.
- I don't feel productive in a general sense.

Having noticed the issues I can now spend the next week researching how to overcome these problems and figure out a plan that is catered to me. Remember coming up with things specific to you is the most important thing dealing with writer's block. One person's routine or tips may not work for you and that's completely okay but trying things you haven't before can open new revenues for you. It's surprising how I've tried things in the past that I didn't think would work for me but did and this is in everyday life not just writing.

So like I said I will be spending the next week trying to get over this block. It is possible. Sometimes it's just harder to do things but the ability is still there. Let's figure things out together.

Comments