Lucky Number 13

Yesterday on the 16th of July 2017 the eagerly anticipated news of who would be playing the new Doctor in 'Doctor Who' was finally announced. It was announced Jodie Whittaker (known most notably for her role in 'Broadchurch') would be taking on the mantel of, what has to be, one of the most iconic characters of all time and also will be the first female incarnation of the Doctor.

'Doctor Who' was a massive part of my childhood and the early series that re-started back in 2005 still holds a very dear place in my heart. However, when David Tenant stepped down from the role and the excellent writer Russell T Davies bowed out with him, the show took a massive change. To say younger me didn't deal with: the new writing, Doctor, companion, T.A.R.D.I.S interior and logo particularly well is a far stretch from reality and not nearly strong enough to express my upset. I doubt I am the only one that felt over the years the show began to lose something it used to have. Something familiar and warm. The show became too complex, too many plot twists and time jumps that didn't make sense and I felt myself losing my love for a show I had given my life to. Although lead writer Steven Moffat is noted for being an incredible writer of one off episodes during the early reboot of the series like the fantastic episode 'Blink' his position as a lead writer wasn't a good fit. Again, I felt his story arks were too over the top and drifted from something (I still can't put my finger on exactly what) that made 'Doctor Who' so beloved. Despite David's departure, which I'm still struggling with even today (I haven't watched his final episode since it aired with fear of my heart finally breaking completely in two) I continued to show loyalty to the show and tuned in every week to watch the new episodes. But over the years, I've found this more of a task and while I have still been moved by the wonderful acting and aspects of the writing I liked, I just found it more of a chore. That is why I have not watched the recent series. This was a first for me since season 2, when I first started watching the show, but now with this new announcement of a brand new Doctor and a new writer taking the lead I find myself wanting to give this new era a chance.

I will be very truthful and admit, had you asked me about my thoughts of a female Doctor years ago I would have said flat out 'no'. I used to believe the show would lose it's crucial set up: male Doctor and female companion. To me that set up was familiar (I'd like to tell anyone who hasn't read my previous blog on change, I was dead set against any form of change; especially in my favourite TV shows) and I thought it would lose that sense of comfort. A large part of it for me was, I think, I simply wanted David [Tennant] back. When he was on the show, regardless of the fact I believe him to be the best Doctor, the show itself was amazing. It was funny, had plot twists that made sense yet were still jaw dropping and was powerful and moving; I basically wanted the show to never change from that. As well as this, stupidly when I was young, I felt it would confuse children when it came to the Doctor's love interests. He had previously been in love with Rose Tyler and had a fleeting (yet deep) connection with Madame de Pompadour and various other ladies who came and went on the show, so having him regenerate into a woman would confuse matters surely (all thoughts of young Lauren). This is something I certainly do not think at all now.

Nowadays as I've gotten older I strongly believe people can love whoever they chose without having to put a label on it. Therefore, trying to place a label on the Doctor, who is an alien that can change their face and gender, is just as stupid as trying to place people in every day life in a box or a stereotype. So despite me being completely open to sexuality as a child and accepting who people loved, I now stand by my belief that titles shouldn't be a thing. Just because the Doctor flies around in a box doesn't mean we have to put their sexuality in a box either. Now, I have had to be more open with the series and accept that things have changed, especially since David left, meaning it wouldn't be how it used to be. This meant as I, once again, grew older and became more aware of equality and women's rights I wanted to see a female Doctor. I feel it's time we show young girls that you don't just have to be the heroes sidekick that cleans up all the mistakes but you can be the hero that is multilayered; prone to get things wrong but ultimately has a high sense of morality and will do everything they can do save the day, and generally does. It feels like the right time for a female Doctor. I feel the show needs a new breath of life by embracing a strong female lead in a show that has predominantly been run by men. I understand this is an iconic show and it has had a very similar format that many people are not willing to let go of and some people have started commenting "Oh, what's next a female James Bond?". No. And here's why: James Bond is a character from a book series and was written as a male and in a very specific way whereas the Doctor is a an alien Time Lord, part of a species that can regenerate and change into a different age, race and, guess what, gender. This means it's ALWAYS been possible for this to happen, it's not about changing the format it's about going along with the next chapter of the Doctor's story. This doesn't mean we're going to start changing the gender of every male lead if that's not how the character was envisioned in original stories.

I'm very very excited about what's to come and to see the new personality of this new Doctor (regardless of the gender). I don't think the gender should effect the way people watch the show. The character still has the same thoughts, memories and experiences this is just a new face! Jodie Whittaker is a perfect choice, she gave a wonderfully moving performance in 'Broadchurch' and she has been hilarious in the 'St Trinian's' films so I think she will give a wonderful balance to the character. This isn't about the BBC pandering to social expectations, this is simply about a show that is moving forward and bringing a fresh new face to an already adored character. This is a new version of the Doctor and I can't wait to see where the new direction of the show will go and I can't wait to tune in to the new 13th Doctor.

Comments