My Reasons 'For' and 'Against' Making Elsa Gay

For anyone living under a rock with ear plugs in,; no connection to the outside world therefore having no idea what 'Frozen' is, let me explain: 'Frozen' is one of Walt Disney's biggest films of all time making over $1.2 billion at the box office. It centers around two sisters Anna and Elsa and Elsa (who is made Queen at the beginning of the film) has magical ice powers she has had to hide for years, especially from her younger sister. Now, Elsa is a strong, independent character who doesn't have a love interest in the film and, with the whispers of 'Frozen 2', a lot of people have been asking for Elsa to be the first openly gay female lead. I have many reasons why I both love this idea and have reservations about it.


* Disclaimer* None of this is to attack the LGBT community. I am a huge supporter of the LGBT community and fully support being open and loving whoever you want. These are just my opinions from a movie/Disney lover point of view. I do not wish to insult or upset anyone with these comments. If you'd like to tell me your opinions please do! I'm open to hearing different opinions and ideas.

FOR:

I think it is defiantly time for Disney to incorporate a gay lead into one of their films. Regardless of whether it's considered a "risky move" or not, this is the 21st century. We are living in a time moving forward and becoming more accepting of people loving whoever they please, so I do think it's about time Disney does the same. They have already started to show LGBT characters in their films, most notably LeFou in the new live action 'Beauty and the Beast' but I would really love to see a lead character be openly gay.
Elsa is such an iconic Disney heroine it would be a fantastic opportunity to use an already greatly admired Disney character, adored by so many children, as their first gay lead. It will help show a younger generation that it's okay to be strong, fierce and completely yourself. Elsa has already shown the power of self love, wouldn't it be so fitting for her to do the same when it comes to sexuality?
I strongly believe that you do not need to put a title on who you are or who you fall in love with. People should be able to love whoever they wish without having to place themselves in a box or explain themselves to other people. That's how I think it should be handled. The whole premise shouldn't have to revolve around her sexuality it should be incorporated naturally without being made a big deal.
I am totally up for the idea of Elsa being gay! It would be such an incredible way of showing children they can "let go" *giggles at own joke* of all their worries and insecurities about their sexuality. I want to hear kids be able to say "If Queen Elsa can love whoever she wants, then so can I!". If the Babadook can be a face of the LGBT community then I'm absolutely certain Elsa can fit right in as well. Imagine a combined float during pride months? Elsa and Babadook duet?! Come on, it would be fascinating!

AGAINST:

My only qualm with the idea is this: just because you have a strong, independent character who doesn't have a male love interest in the first film does not mean they have to be gay. Like I said before I love the idea of Elsa being gay and certainly wouldn't be angry or upset if she was but my concern is, are you saying someone who doesn't have a love interest (this is regardless of whether the love interest is male or female) has to be gay? I actually like the idea of Elsa staying single for the next film and the main focus still being on the sisterly bond and the film centering around family love and family bonds rather than a romance.
What I personally think Disney should do is create a whole new character and story, with less pressure placed on it's shoulders, that's openly gay and is not made a big deal. I've mentioned before that what I think the new 'Beauty and the Beast' did so well was that it incorporated it's gay character without it being a big deal and no one explicitly having to say 'Oh, by the way LeFou is gay'. That is exactly how I think this needs to be handled. I feel the first gay character shouldn't be considered this 'OMG IT'S A MASSIVE DEAL' because being gay shouldn't be exotic and strange and new it should be considered natural and as normal as any other straight relationship. Though it would be a big deal in the realm of Disney, in real life it should be considered the norm. All love is valid and beautiful and should be seen as such without making it's main selling point the gay character. I just feel it would be a shame to say the only reasons Elsa didn't have a love interest in the first film was because she was gay, rather than her main focus being on ruling a kingdom and being a guardian of her younger sister and dealing with personal issues i.e. she had other stuff to deal with.


Let me know if any of you have the same thoughts or even different ideas I would love to know. I am on the fence with this entirely and wouldn't be devastated if they didn't make her gay but I'd be really flipping happy if they did. At the end of the day I would simply be happy if Disney finally bit the bullet and went forward and created an openly gay lead. I understand the concerns of repercussions (some countries banned 'Beauty and the Beast' because of the openly gay character even though he wasn't a lead) but with Disney being such a force, especially in the movie world, I think the step would have a much greater and beneficial effect than they realise. As well as this, I do realise other film companies have already made a step in incorporating gay characters and I deeply applaud them for doing so and that is why I feel it's time that Disney, such an iconic company and brand, do the same.

Comments