Awkward Disney Trip Moments

I have mentioned on this blog before that in 2015, along with my good chummy Sasha, I went to Disneyland Paris. It was an amazing holiday and we had a fan-dabby-dosey time. BUT! We did experience quite a few awkward little moments on this trip...And of course, I thought I'd document them down here so you can cringe on my behalf.

The Princess Pavilion Incident

This incident was more mortifying for me than funny per say. Let me add some context to the story. My favourite Disney Princess is Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and it was my childhood dream to meet her. Sasha let me decide on the Princess we met at Princess Pavilion as she knew how desperately I wanted to meet her. Truthfully, I was excited to meet any Princess as long as it wasn't Snow White. Sure enough, she's pretty but her voice kind of irritates me...okay really irritates me...Actually makes me want to put my head under a rock...So when I get told I look like Snow White I am flattered as she's beautiful but by the love of Walt Disney she just bothers me.
So we queued a lot for this portion of our trip. We had to queue for about an hour just to get a time slot and then we queued for a further hour to meet a Princess. When we got closer to the front, they didn't seem to ask which Princess people wanted to meet, then it became apparent there were only two Princesses on at a time. 'That's okay,' I thought to myself 'I'm still getting to meet a Princess'. So we got to the top of the queue. Remember, I have just queued for about two hours to fulfil a childhood dream of meeting a Disney Princess. I'm filled with childlike excitement, I'm bouncing on the balls of my feet to settle my nerves and then...we're ushered in. I take a deep breath, turn the corner and come face to face with none other than...Snow-Flipping-White.
I was frozen to the spot, my heart stopped dead in my chest. How could this be? How could I be in this position? What had I done wrong in the eyes of the Disney gods? I hadn't pushed any children over or said I didn't believe in fairies! I could almost feel Sasha laughing next to me. But we did it. We met her, she was so lovely and sweet and we took some cute photos. Then we walked out and Sasha fell into a fit of laughter 'It literally could have been anyone but it had to be her!' she exclaimed. I was still too speechless to be able to fathom what had just happened.

Lauren and Aladdin's (Short) Romance

Immediately after leaving the Princess Pavilion, still in a state of shock, we found ourselves bumping into Aladdin, the street rat himself. I was in awe, it vanquished all my thoughts of the Snow White incident. He was...beautiful, there is no other way to put it. I asked for a photo and became a giddy mess when he continued to keep his arm around me. He said we should follow along and continue to walk with him. I held him around the waist as he held my shoulders; we passed other Disney goers who smiled and waved at him. It was like I was suddenly whisked into an unexpected relationship with a celebrity. However, the longer we continued to walk and Sasha became a third wheel, we started to wonder when we should leave...Both Sasha and I stared at each other having a mental conversation 'Shall...When do we go?' 'But...It might come across rude?' 'How long do we follow him for? He didn't give us a time scale!'. It was starting to get a little strange, people were trying to get photos with him and there was me basically photobombing as I was still attached to him! Eventually, I managed to detach myself from my prince and we stepped away and children swarmed on him.
It was just a wonderful representation of how badly Sasha and I are at handling social situations. And mine and Aladdin's short romance was brought to a close. #LladdinForever though.

Shop Talk

Being the mature women we are, Sasha and I purchased a lot of the Disney merchandise while on our trip. Sasha decided to buy a Mike Wazowski (from 'Monsters, Inc') plush teddy. Going to the counter to pay for him the man behind began jokingly talking to teddy Mike 'Mike, do you want to go home with these beautiful ladies?' and Mike very kindly "nodded his head". Oh how we laughed at this funny joke this man had made and Sasha was ready to reach for her new purchase so we could go on our way. Oh, but it didn't stop there, this charade continued! I for the life of me cannot remember exactly what the man continued to say to Mike, I think he was threatening to keep Mike as his own. I was so awkward at handling the situation I just tried to look at anywhere that wasn't this man 'Oh look at that Christmas Ornament. That's a nice mug. Is that some Frozen merch?'. We finally managed to get Mike out of the clutches of this strange man whom we knew meant well but left us in a state of 'What the hell just happened?!'. From that day on, Sasha and I entered the shop in a 'Mission Impossible' like fashion just so we didn't have to communicate with him once more.

Phantom Manor Fiasco

This is most certainly a "you had to be there situation" but I still feel it's worthy of a share. Picture it. The low lighting, the eerie music playing through the air as paintings that change while you walk past hang on the moulding walls. This, is Phantom Manor. Undoubtedly, one of my favourite rides in the whole park. Now, for anyone who knows me, when I panic I can sometimes just jump on ahead and do something before I lose my cool, this is precisely what happened on this ride.
We reached the top of the queue and this ride is a coverer belt of seats that are continuously moving (a very efficient ride). I can't really put my finger on what happened but I think I was under the impression we had to go and I just jumped on the first one I could. I did this, only to find, Sasha was not behind me. 'Chummy!' I shouted panicking I would have to face this ride alone! Thankfully she managed to get on the ride. 'What the hell did you do that for? [The usher man] didn't tell us we could get on yet!' 'Didn't he?'. Clearly my panic mode had made me think we could go and I ran for it! So a long line of people just saw a young woman sprint, without being told she could get on yet, onto a ride on her own like a looney person. To make matters worse, next time we went on the ride, the same usher was there! He held a hand up to me and said 'Wait this time'. I could have passed out and become a ghost on the ride in that very moment.


So, those were just a few of the many awkward, cringe worthy events that happened on my Disney Trip in 2015. In some cases it may have been a "you had to be there" story but at least it's an emphasis of how Sasha and I just seem to attract awkward and weird situations.

Comments